Friday, October 10, 2014

Changes- A Move to New Mexico and Weaving as a Full-Time Affair


This is the view from our deck!!!


Two weeks ago, I quit my day job. My husband and I will be moving very shortly from our home along the central coast of California, to the mountains of New Mexico near Albuquerque.
This has been a long time in the planning and we are very excited. It will mean that we will be semi-retired and I'll have a lot more time to devote to my weaving, blogging, teaching and fiber fun.



New Mexico's fiber culture and traditions go back centuries and this month in New Mexico Magazine, there is a lovely article which follows "the strands of New Mexico's staunch weaving traditions from sheep to shop". You can read it here: Dyed in the Wool.

A woven bag from Chimayo, NM which has one of my woven straps on it. 



I've been cultivating connections in New Mexico and and happy to say that I already belong to:
The New Mexy Etsy Team, The Espanola Valley Fiber Arts Center,  Las Aranas Spinners and Weavers Guild. With a little luck, I'll get organized in time to participate in the following as my first show as a local: Fall Fiber Fiesta in Santa Fe during the weekend of November 14th & 15th.





6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful move for you! Northern New Mexico is so lovely..... and you will be surrounded by such a wealth of fiber tradition.
    I'm a wee bit envious :)
    Julie Schubert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Yes, I am definitely looking forward to having fiber friends nearby!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Congratulations on a great new location that will inspire you to create in such wonderful colors. The SW is one of my favorite areas of our great continent. Best to you in this new adventure. I look forward tot he scenes you will see and share...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. You will probably be seeing some good scenery here, even more so if you follow me on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/ASpinnerWeaver

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I wish you and your husband much luck with your new adventure !

    ReplyDelete