Tuesday, February 11, 2014

In Celebration of Plain Weave

In recent years some stellar teachers have emerged in the band weaving community and inspired many to pick up small looms- band looms, rigid heddles, inkle looms and backstrap looms.
How exciting this is to see! Many beautiful pictures are being displayed on Ravelry, Weavolution, Facebook, Flickr and circulating on Pinterest, just to name a few. This has inspired even more weavers to give these small looms a try.
I watch many new weavers who are anxious to weave beautiful and complex patterns like the ones they see others posting photos of, maybe not even realizing that there are so many levels of pattern and designs, even to narrow warp-faced bands. While the various pickup patterns are beautiful, I sincerely believe that the place to start is with plain weave. And plain weave has endless pattern possibilities! You don't have to do pickup to have a good time!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My inkle weaving is at a production level. I make and sell hundreds of pieces each year; about 90% of these are plain weave. Since I state that "each one is one-of-a-kind", there need to be new and creative combinations of color and pattern each time I set up my loom. I've been weaving for years and keep inventing something new each time. Plain weave is never boring to me!

In this post are an assortment of straps woven in 2013 each illustrated with a photo and pattern draft so that you can create your own versions if you wish, or use them as a jumping off point to draft your own patterns.
These are all combinations of a few pattern elements like stripes, chains and "teeth".




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here on my Flickr page, there is an album devoted just to plain weave patterns if you'd like to browse. http://www.flickr.com/photos/aspinnerweaver/sets/72157626855413579/

Stay tuned! This is the first in a series of many posts featuring design ideas! 

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliment, Frances. This is a great way for me to share my enthusiasm for color and pattern and I hope that the design ideas will be useful to some other weavers.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this posting. As an inkle newbie, I appreciate the plain weave info which will help me sort out patterns. There's a lot more info out there about card weaving etc than working with plain weave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rini.
      Yes, I am aware that so many people are weaving complex bands these days and plain weave with all of it's possibilities sometimes gets overlooked.
      ~Annie

      Delete
  3. Beautiful patterns. Thank y ou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for these patterns! I am very new to inkle weaving and you have become my go-to place for inspiration. Love your work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I hope that you will find useful charts and inspiration here!
      ~Annie

      Delete
  5. Thank you for these drafts...I am very new to Inkle weaving and need all the help I can get... Can you tell me is there a way to "read" a finished design, in order to figure out what the threading for the warp would be ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you are looking at a finished band close enough, you can see the design thread for thread. Maybe you could try looking at my photos and see if you can create the pattern draft from them. Since the draft is already there, you will be able to check it. Does that make sense?

      Delete
    2. Yes that does, I will try it...Thanks...

      Delete
  6. quiero saber como hago para ver los patrones

    ReplyDelete
  7. como hago para ver los patrones de tus trabajos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aliki-
      He mostrado algunas de las fotos con los patrones anteriores. Qué te gustaría ver más? Hay otros aqui http://aspinnerweaver.blogspot.com/2014/03/winning-color-strategy-using-red-and.html y aqui http://aspinnerweaver.blogspot.com/2014/02/plain-weave-color-strategy-inspiration.html. Y este http://aspinnerweaver.blogspot.com/2014/02/greek-key-pickup-tutorial.html
      Yo deseo que yo tenía un libro de una oferta!
      ~Annie

      Delete